Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wednesday oh Wednesday

This week has been nothing but blah.

The doctor took me off work until tomorrow for this nasty cold that David gave me courtesy of his students. Boy how I LOVE his students in the winter time.

So what have I been doing with this sudden abundance of free time....in between coughing, sneezing and sleeping I read The Aloha Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini. If you have never read the Elm Creek Quilt series I would recommend them. The are not difficult reads but the characters are so real and the stories so heart warming. I wish Elm Creek Quilts was a real place.

I, myself, do not quilt but I want to. I even begged for a sewing machine two years ago for my birthday so I could learn to sew. I have used said sewing machine once. Why only once? Because I am deathly afraid of breaking it.

But after reading yet another book that revolves around quilting, I am determined to learn. I figure there must be a Quilting for dummies or something along those lines. I already found sewing for dummies which I figured I would start with. I have not decided if I will be a machine quilter or piece by hand. There seems to be some debate as to what makes a real quilter. I figure I should learn how to hand and machine sew basic stitches first, just to be safe.

While I am jumping into sewing relatively blind, I am envisioning these wonderful, beautiful quilts being passed down generation to generation.

I think there is nothing more wonderful then a hand made scarf, blanket or quilt to give a loved one. There is something to be said about a gift meant to keep a loved one warm.

No comments: