Sunday, March 16, 2014

Beginning Running Day 1

David and I have decided we are tired of being fat, tired, and confident we would not survive the zombie apocalypse due to we would have to stop running every 5 feet to rest. lol (yes, we know, zombies are not real...)

So what does a family do when they are overweight, lazy, exhausted and tired of being exhausted...they decide to run a 5k color run this coming June. This is huge for us because we are not runners, athletes or, lets face it, active. We decided a 5k, untimed, just to have fun. run would be a good start for us.

To get us started, on Friday I went on a hunt for a sports bra. Let me tell you, finding one for someone as fluffy as me, that will keep the girls in place while running, is not easy. I have spent the last week reading running blogs and bra reviews. I finally decided I would try the Enell sports bra. Wow, was it pricy, not 1 ounce of sexy and only sold in like 1 store near me. But, I got it.

On Saturday, we went to a locale running store and had all three of us fitted for running shoes. Who knew we were all wearing the wrong size and totally looking for the opposite of what we should in a running shoe. I would highly recommend getting fitted for running shoes. Once we are all outfitted correctly, we decided Saturday would be our rest day.....hey, baby steps people.

We have decided to follow a 8 week beginning runners program from Runner's World Magazine. We decided Sunday was day 1, which is 1 minute of running, 2 minutes of walking repeated 10 times for a total of 30 minutes. We were up bright and early, got the dog on her leash and set out. We ended up run/walking about 2.2 miles and it felt pretty good. The best part....we did it together, as a family.

David and I want Bella to discover a love for things like running, swimming, biking etc. A form of activity that does not require a team and she can take with her where ever life takes her. Of course, that means we need to discover the love as well...in our late 30's....50+lbs over weight....this should be easy....right?!?!?!


No comments: