First, let me explain how it works. There are four dinner services. The first one is for the men who live at the mission and are going through the program to get off the streets and into permanent housing and jobs. Second, dinner is for the women and families also living at the mission and going through the program. Third, is for the homeless women from outside the facility and last is for the homeless men from out side.
The people who are staying at the facility do not look like homeless people. They were dressed the way most people I know dress, they had cell phones and I Pods. The children had on school uniforms and backpacks. It was when I saw this that I realized how easy it is for “normal” people, just like me, to fall on hard times and end up in a shelter. As for the homeless from outside, most were physically disabled or mentally ill. Again, not the typical drunk/druggy I had pictured before going to the mission.
So what did I take away from the experience? Aside from a new found appreciation for my tiny apartment, my old warn out bed and PB&J sandwiches; I realized homeless comes in all size, shapes, ages and colors. I realized that simply showing up to serve dinner and offering a smile could make a persons day. Many of the people were truly thankful that we were there to help serve them.
I also realized that shelters/missions truly need all the help they can get. We started serving roasted chicken, peas, rice, black beans and salad and ended the night with a hot dog (no bun) and 3 pieces of baguette. The main meat course changed five times by the end of the night. The mission cooks what ever they have on hand; starting with the best main course for the residents and works its way down. It broke my heart to see happy the homeless men were for that hot dog.
So what am I going to do? For starters, my bible study group has signed up to serve 1 Saturday per month through December 2010. I am also going to be donating items though out the year, not just during holiday food and clothing drives. It does not have to be big items. The mission is in desperate need of basic personal hygiene items, under garments for all ages, blankets, etc.
I encourage everyone reading this to find out how you can help in your local area. Even if you can not afford to donate items or money, your time is equally appreciated.
Here are some site that I found for my local area, I'm sure there are many more:
No comments:
Post a Comment