Thursday, June 5, 2014

End of the school year fun....

This have been a little busy around here. I have used that and the heat as an excuse to not run or do much of anything. Since my last post we have.....

On 5/29/14 Bella's class had a field trip to San Diego. We went to the Scripts Birch Aquarium, a harbor boat tour, the Air and Space museum and old town San Diego. It was a very fast paced day since we had to fit in so much but it was fun. In old town we had a guided tour. The people were all in period costume. We were able to see the Black Smith in action, the original school house and homes. There was this one lady who was sitting in the courtyard of the big house embroidering and it made me think of how much I love hand crafts and how much longer hand made things last. I started working on my Ty blanket again.

When Ty was in the hospital, I thought I would crochet him a blanket he could use once he was out of the ICU. One morning on the way to the hospital, I stopped at Joannes and bought a gorgeous red and cream yarn. I spent the morning finishing another blanket while sitting in the waiting room so that way I would have room in my bag for Ty's yarn. Before I could start the blanket that day, we were told Ty had been declared brain dead. It took me awhile to decide to still make the blanket but keep it for myself. Some days it is easy to work on it than others, so it is still a WIP.

The weekend of May 30 my step mom and I went to a sports medicine conference in Rancho Mirage. The focus of this years conference was head trauma and mainly concussions. Mom was asked to be the opening speaker on Saturday morning and provide the mothers point of view when your child suffers and succumbs to a head injury. She did a beautiful job. Most of the attendees were athletic trainers, physical therapists, high school and college athletic staff. It was/is easy to get caught up in all of the clinical side of the speakers. Mom did a great job making a human connection. The conference was also dedicated to Ty.

When mom was not speaking, we were able to enjoy a great mother/daughter weekend get away. The conference gave us a 2 night stay at the Racho Las Palmas Resort. It was AMAZING!! We had a great time eating our, shopping and sitting on our balcony, drinking wine and listening to the bull frogs that come out of the little pond outside our room. It was a very emotional yet relaxing get away.

On Monday, Bella had her 5th grade end of the year party at Scandia. The park was closed to school groups only and is pretty small so the kids were able to run around in groups without an official parent chaperone. It was so fun to see them in this new found freedom (even though we had parents "stationed" everywhere. lol

Well, that covers all the fun "busy" stuff. Tomorrow is another field trip and then preparing for the last week of school.

We did get a run and swimming in today. Even though the heat about did me in, it felt so good to be active again....


No comments: