Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Random Dozen 9/22/10


1. Have you, or has someone close to you, ever won an award for anything?

Aside from school achievement awards, I have not won anything. My step-mom's niece is this years local girl of the year for the Leukemia Society. You can read about her here. I have only met her a couple of times & was not aware that she was being recognized until I saw her picture at the grocery store.

2. Who is the nearest relative to you who has served in the US Military?

Both of my brother-in-laws served. My older BIL left the Marine Corp a few years ago. My younger BIL is still enlisted and has a few years to go on his 2nd enlistment. My grandfather was in the Navy.

3. Share something that stirs the patriotic spirit in you.

Oh my, almost anything. Seeing the colors red, white and blue together, the national anthem, holidays, the evening news, you name it. I am a very proud American; even when I do not agree with government; & will always cry during the national anthem. I'm kind of a sure bet!

4. Where are you in the birth order in your family? Do you think your "placement" made a difference in your personality?

I am the older sister. It's just the two of us. I am the oldest grandchild on my dad's side of the family. I lost official count but I think we are at 19. Being the oldest definitely made a difference. I tend to take control of situations, I am better at taking care of others and am happiest when doing so, and I am very spoiled. We have a large family and being the first granddaughter/niece still has it's advantages.

5. Name one trait you hope you carry that was evidenced in your parents or grandparents.

Love your family and be sure to take time to spend with extended family and let them know you care. I will admit, I am lacking in this area. When I was growing up, my parents made it a point to take us to Oregon to see our grandparents & extended families on both sides as often as possible. My daughter is 7 and she has been to Oregon once. I really need to work at going home more often.

6. If female, do you prefer wearing a skirt or pants? If male, shirt and tie or polo?

Pants. Currently, I am not thrilled with my legs.

7. Approximately how many times do you wake during the night? What do you do to go back to sleep?

Usually once, as it's nearing the time for the alarm to go off. I usually do not go back to sleep and just lay there waiting for the alarm.

8. Share a favorite movie quote.

Hehe! I have a couple and could not decide on my favorite:
"I'm not crazy, I've just been in a very bad mood 40 years!" - Ouiser Boudreaux from Steel Magnolias. "Pink is my signature color" - Shelby from Steel Magnolias "You're killing me Smalls!" - Ham Porter from the Sandlot

9. What is your favorite Fall candle scent?

Apple Cinnamon. It reminds me of my Nanny's house.

10. What is one Fall activity you're looking forward to?

Going to the pumpkin patch, hiking and decorating. Fall is my favorite time of year. O don't hike in the summer because of the heat and I'm scared of thirsty mountain lions that are coming further down the mountain looking for food. I always feel a bit safer after we have had a little rain.

11. Tell us about a pleasant surprise that happened to you recently.
My dad and step-mom came to Bella's soccer game. They live about 40 minutes away so it is not easy to come out here every weekend. It made Bella's day having her Apple Head there.

12. What was it like when you first met your in-laws-to-be?

Scary. My MIL does not speak English and I don't speak Spanish so that was nerve racking. My older SIL was very welcoming, my younger SIL was a bit cold and stand offish for awhile. My BIL was only 11 so he didn't seem to care much.

I grew up in a rather rural part of SoCal. My high school was predominately white and most kids had horses or farms. David grew up in the city, about 20 minutes outside LA in a predominately Hispanic community. Trying to navigate each others cultures took a little getting used to. We still stumble from time to time.

Visit 2nd Cup of Coffee if you would like to participate in the weekly Random Dozen

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, am an oldest child, so I know what you mean about having to take control of situations! Some people might say we're bossy. LOL

Loved your "40" quote! Too funny!!

SusanD said...

Great movie quotes. Steel Magnolias is one of my fav movies. I enjoyed reading your answers. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

Mocha with Linda said...

Totally enjoyed your answers, as always!

momma24 said...

Enjoyed your answers! Steel Magnolias is a great movie.