
When I was 19 my dad started dating my step-mom. At that time, my dad and I were on rocky grounds (that's a story for another time) and I didn't put much stock in getting to know the new woman or her 2 kids. At that time she had a 4 year old boy an 8 month old boy. Not long after, I moved out of the house and didn't speak to my dad for about 3ish years.
My dad and said girlfriend dated on and off and pretty much kept my distance. I was still pretty hurt over past issues and didn't want to get to close because who knew how long they would be around. Fast forward to 2002. I had my daughter Bella and Dad was still dating Tina. Bella's arrival changed a lot and became close to my old and new family's. I finally allowed myself to have 2 little brothers named Marcus and Tyler.
Over the next few years, we saw each other on holidays, BBQ's and family vacations. From day 1, Tyler was my baby brother and Bella's uncle Tyler. We were never step-siblings. I was always just sis. Mom was never step-mom, she was just mom. Unfortunately, I allowed working full time, being a mom and living an hour away get in the way of spending much time and taking part in the day-to-day life of those two beautiful boys. Fast forward a few more years...Tyler is now in high school, Marcus has graduated. Tyler is playing football, running track and running a muck around town. Typical for a 16 year old. We have now become closer and share random late night text.
On August 22, 2013 my mom text that Tyler had suffered a head injury at a pre-season scrimmage football game and that he was taken to the hospital by ambulance, I could tell she was scared but trying to stay calm for my sake. By the time I got to the hospital, Tyler had gone through surgery to relieve the swelling on his brain and was in a coma in the ICU. Seeing my active, wise cracking little brother so silent and still was terrifying, but this was Tyler. He would wake up shortly.....or so we though. He fought for days, but every test kept getting worse and on August 27, 2014 we were advised Tyler was brain dead. Just like that, gone. As I type this, I know it happened. Most days, it is so raw and painful, its like August is never ending, yet I still go breathless when I really admit it. The gaping in me opens wide.
When Tyler was 15 he expressed his wish to be an organ donor when he passed. He was able to donate is heart, lung, kidneys, liver, soft tissues and bone marrow. He help so many people it's amazing but to be expected. Tyler was always looking out the the little guy, offering his help before being asked. He always new what to say to make you smile and laugh. He did not like people to be unhappy. He loved big and unapologetically. For 16 years, he lived. He went camping, hunting, fishing, shooting, played sports, excelled in school and just loved being a kid.
Today, Tyler would have been 17. I miss him. I can't begin to described how much I miss him. There are no words. Happy Birthday baby brother.






No comments:
Post a Comment