Friday, January 30, 2009

Chinese New Year

On Monday, Isabella's school had a Chinese luncheon and today they had a Chinese New Year parade today. A small group of people came in with the drums and dragons and then the Kindergarten kids made headband, lanterns and little dragons to carry. They walked around the entire school and all the older kids came out to watch. It was actually really cool.


Most of the kids loved it and a few burst into tears when they saw the dragons.I can't say I would not have been a little freaked out if a big white dragon face got within a foot on my face. Especially at five years old.

I can honestly say I don't remember celebrating Chinese New year when I was in elementary school. I love the fact that the children are being taught to embrace a celebrate different cultures then their own.

This week in class they had to bring something from their culture for their share day. Some kids did this and then other kids brought stuff that was so far off. Isabella decided to bring a Loteria, which is like a Mexican bingo game. The funny part was that my kid is so white washed that she could not pronounce it so she just called it Mexican Bingo. Oh well!

No comments: